Topics

Command at Sea, WWII naval battles in the Pacific

Greg Wong

I'm bored, so I decided to pour out a random stream of ideas I've had spinning around in my head for a World War II Pacific game. This is not an official request to schedule a game at this point. If you're interested, feel free to comment.

I'd like to use the Command at Sea rules with 1/2400 GHQ ships. I started collecting GHQ Micronaut ships back in the 90s when I bought a large lot from someone. Since, then, I've added to the collection every time GHQ has a sale. I'm not the greatest painter in the world, but the ships don't look too bad at this scale.

Command at Sea is published by Clash of Arms, and is a World War II spinoff of Harpoon by Larry Bond. I purchased first edition Command at Sea back in the day, and I've kept up with the updates. I now have the latest 4th edition rules. What's sad about this is that all this time, I never actually got a game going using these rules. I'm determined to change that and run a game some time this year. As this is my first attempt, I am hoping the participants will demonstrate patience as we struggle with the rules. I also have some ideas on how I would simplify the rules, but initially, I want to play the rules as written (RAW) before tinkering.

As part of the learning process, I'm considering running the following games in succession and adding additional rules with each scenario.
1. A small night surface action between cruisers and destroyers. No aircraft. This will introduce the core rules.
2. A daylight surface action between larger forces and float planes. This will introduce some of the aircraft rules.
3. An air raid on a carrier task force with CAP. Full aircraft rules. This step is important because aircraft were such a big part of the Pacific war.
4. Optional. A scenario involving submarines.
Finally, as I described in an earlier post, I'd like to run a campaign game with individual battle fought during club meetings.

--Greg

Ix Nichols

On 1/7/21 3:30 PM, Greg Wong wrote:
I started collecting GHQ Micronaut ships back in the 90s when I bought a large lot from someone. Since, then, I've added to the collection every time GHQ has a sale.
This sounds eerily familiar.... :-)

This year I just about ran out of things to buy in the GHQ sale.

Command at Sea is published by Clash of Arms, and is a World War II spinoff of Harpoon by Larry Bond.
[...]
I'm determined to change that and run a game some time this year. As this is my first attempt, I am hoping the participants will demonstrate patience as we struggle with the rules. I also have some ideas on how I would simplify the rules, but initially, I want to play the rules as written (RAW) before tinkering.
I'll play!

I have all the WWII scenario books for CaS, but ironically not the rule book. I do have the earlier period rules (Dawn of the Battleship, and Fear God & Dread Nought) so I've looked over the system. It's a bit too clunky and old-fashioned to have broad appeal, but should be easy enough to manage for bookish naval gaming geeks. :-)

I already have my own plans under way for early Pacific War gaming using GQ3, so I've got a lot of the naval miniatures already collected for it. I also have all the 1/200 planes I need for the associated aerial campaigns (Solomons and New Guinea), and a big start on a 15mm collection of IJA, USMC, US Army and some Brits in tropical gear. I ran a multi-game Guadalcanal series at Pacificon in 2018, but my plans to do it again in 2020 were a casualty of the pandemic. Maybe 2021...

I also recently started collecting 1/1200 ships to use as aerial attack targets. I have a huge start on some expanded ground attack rules for CY6 that I'm hoping will make surface attacks fun to game. Look out Rabaul, here I come!

- Ix

Albert Tapia

Hi, Ix,

You said "I also have all the 1/200 planes I need for the associated aerial campaigns"

Where are you finding these 1/200 aircraft?  Wings of War or someplace else?

--Al

> Micronaut ships back in the 90s when I bought a large lot from someone. Since, then,
> I've added to the collection every time GHQ has a sale.

This sounds eerily familiar.... :-)

This year I just about ran out of things to buy in the GHQ sale.

> Command at Sea is published by Clash of Arms, and is a World War II spinoff of Harpoon
> by Larry Bond.
[...]
> I'm determined
> to change that and run a game some time this year. As this is my first attempt, I am
> hoping the participants will demonstrate patience as we struggle with the rules. I also
> have some ideas on how I would simplify the rules, but initially, I want to play the
> rules as written (RAW) before tinkering.

I'll play!

I have all the WWII scenario books for CaS, but ironically not the rule book. I do have
the earlier period rules (Dawn of the Battleship, and Fear God & Dread Nought) so I've
looked over the system. It's a bit too clunky and old-fashioned to have broad appeal,
but should be easy enough to manage for bookish naval gaming geeks. :-)

I already have my own plans under way for early Pacific War gaming using GQ3, so I've
got a lot of the naval miniatures already collected for it. I also have all the 1/200
planes I need for the associated aerial campaigns (Solomons and New Guinea), and a big
start on a 15mm collection of IJA, USMC, US Army and some Brits in tropical gear. I ran
a multi-game Guadalcanal series at Pacificon in 2018, but my plans to do it again in
2020 were a casualty of the pandemic. Maybe 2021...

I also recently started collecting 1/1200 ships to use as aerial attack targets. I have
a huge start on some expanded ground attack rules for CY6 that I'm hoping will make
surface attacks fun to game. Look out Rabaul, here I come!

- Ix

Michael

Hi Greg,

I’ll play too!
I’m new to war gaming so I don’t have 1/10 the experience Ix has and less than 1/100 of his miniatures. But I’m willing jump in if you will allow me.

Mike

jasonf1991

I buy my 1/200 scale planes from Armaments in Miniature mostly but there are lots out there. He has a pile of variety, great prices and an excellent product. Planes are resin. Ordering is kind of old school, you basically send Dave a letter telling him what you are interested in and he gets back to you. A little slow but he's a 1 man show. I buy decals from miscmini.com great stuff lots of variety in many scales and does custom work too. His decals a nice but printed on one sheet so you do need to cut the out very close. Fine sewing scissors are the way to go. I've gotten some beautiful 3-D printed planes from Rocsculpts in England. The sell STL's as well as finished models. I don't have a 3-d printer so I have to buy the finished models.

I'm a newer member and am getting more comfortable with the club so I'm hoping to do a BRS game at one of or minicons this year.

I also use the planes for blood red skies made by Warlord Games. All the blood red skies planes are 1/200 scale and they have a good variety in plastic, metal and resin. Usually sold in boxes of 6 planes. Its a pretty fun game that I've been playing solo a lot. I have quite a few squadrons. They have some sales going but Amazon seems to be cheaper and game a style always has deals on their pre-order new releases.

http://www.armamentsinminiature.com
https://miscmini.com/shop/ols/products/p-40-64th-fs-57-fg-1-200-scale-decals
https://roc-works.co.uk
https://store.warlordgames.com/collections/blood-red-skies

Cheers!

--
Jason Fernandez

jasonf1991

Here are some pictures for you Al,
The CANT Z 1007 is an AIM model.
The 332nd FG "Red Tails" P-47's are Warlord Resin
The P-40's L to R. 325 Fg "checkertails" P-40F is AIM, the 2 other P-40's are Warlord Resin. The 80th FG "Burma Banshees" and AVG decals are misc mini.

--
Jason Fernandez

Ix Nichols

On 1/9/21 9:24 PM, Albert Tapia wrote:
Hi, Ix,

You said "I also have all the 1/200 planes I need for the associated aerial campaigns"

Where are you finding these 1/200 aircraft?  Wings of War or someplace else?

--Al

My answer is the same as Jason's - most decals from miscmini.com, most planes from Armaments In Miniature:
https://www.angelfire.com/nj4/armamentsinminiature/aircraftinminiature/9mm/resin09mm.htm

I have a few other minor additions from other sources:

I have full squadrons of the Blood Red Skies Battle of Britain fighters, Mustangs and FW-190s:
    https://us-store.warlordgames.com/collections/blood-red-skies
I've only ordered Warlord plastic planes that were super cheap (on sale or on eBay). With a few exceptions, I don't like the Warlord planes as much as the AIM planes, they don't mix well, and many of the Warlord planes are cast in metal (which is very hard to use for dogfight gaming).

I got full sets of Fulmars and Swordfish from Shapeways, before Shapeways hiked their prices to the "second mortgage" level. There are lots of rare and oddball designs on Shapeways I'd love to get (such as the IAR-80 and tropical Spitfire V), but I will probably never get them unless I can acquire the STL files and then have someone else print them. I'm not interested in doing 3D printing myself.

Bud was kind enough to 3D print me a dozen French D.520 fighters from a free STL file he downloaded:
    https://flic.kr/p/2gTQ3kY
Typical of print-it-yourself projects, these were only okay models (good proportions, but low on detail), but the price was unbeatable. :-)   They look good in paint and decals.

I also have a few of the 1/200 plastic Trumpeter models of various floatplanes:
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=trumpeter+1%2F200+aircraft&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=trumpeter+1%2F200
I do not recommend these. They are small, fragile, extremely fiddly to put together, and will probably break under the stresses of gaming. They're really display models, not gaming models. The clear plastic makes it really really REALLY hard to see where things like struts are supposed to go.

Did I mention REALLY HARD?!?!?

- Ix

Ix Nichols

On 1/10/21 10:55 AM, jasonf1991 via groups.io wrote:
Here are some pictures for you Al,
The CANT Z 1007 is an AIM model.
The 332nd FG "Red Tails" P-47's are Warlord Resin
The P-40's L to R. 325 Fg "checkertails" P-40F is AIM, the 2 other P-40's are Warlord Resin. The 80th FG "Burma Banshees" and AVG decals are misc mini.
Those are really nice looking.

Also very familiar. I have all of those myself. :-)

(Though none of my MTO planes are painted yet...)

- Ix

Albert Tapia

Hi, Ix, Jason,

Thanks for the tips!   I knew about Wings of War &  Warlord, but they did not have the planes
I needed.  I think AIM and the occasional Shapeways purchase will fill my needs.  Plus, I like the
AIM flight stands.

--Al