Topics

Irish War of Independence (Anglo-Irish War) 1919 - 1923

Nick Stern

Bob Burke says he remembers me running an Irish War of Independence game, but I swear I never did. Does anyone in the club remember who did? I am now collecting miniatures, vehicles, etc. for the conflict and I'd like to talk to whoever it was who ran games in the past.

Thanks!
Nick

Bud Geldmacher

Sounds like a fun project. I looked into the available ranges after watching the series "Rebellion" on Netflix. It seems many British players find gaming the Irish Civil War in poor taste and because the preponderance of the minis companies seem to be British there's relatively limited options available.

It does look like a period that would lend itself to some fun table top action though.

Bud

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021, 3:18 PM Nick Stern <nicholas.stern@...> wrote:
Bob Burke says he remembers me running an Irish War of Independence game, but I swear I never did. Does anyone in the club remember who did? I am now collecting miniatures, vehicles, etc. for the conflict and I'd like to talk to whoever it was who ran games in the past.

Thanks!
Nick

Nick Stern

I just scored 53 painted 28mm Footsore Miniatures for the Anglo-Irish conflict. I asked my wargaming friend Eamon, who is a policeman in Dublin, whether he thought it was bad taste to play the Anglo-Irish War and he said it was okay with him, so it's okay with me.

"Rebellion" is a great series on the conflict, now playing on Netfix.

Nick

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 3:29 PM Bud Geldmacher <bud.geldmacher@...> wrote:
Sounds like a fun project. I looked into the available ranges after watching the series "Rebellion" on Netflix. It seems many British players find gaming the Irish Civil War in poor taste and because the preponderance of the minis companies seem to be British there's relatively limited options available.

It does look like a period that would lend itself to some fun table top action though.

Bud

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021, 3:18 PM Nick Stern <nicholas.stern@...> wrote:
Bob Burke says he remembers me running an Irish War of Independence game, but I swear I never did. Does anyone in the club remember who did? I am now collecting miniatures, vehicles, etc. for the conflict and I'd like to talk to whoever it was who ran games in the past.

Thanks!
Nick

Charles W Li

You can't call it the "Irish Civil War" since it was Irish fighting the Brits for liberation.

I have a collection of Irish War for Independence minis in 28mm that I bought online which includes both sides plus an armored car & bicycle unit (~200 minks). I remember asking around maybe 3-years ago if anyone was interested, including Nick, but didn't find any interest.

Charles

On Sunday, January 24, 2021, 03:29:20 PM PST, Bud Geldmacher <bud.geldmacher@...> wrote:

Sounds like a fun project. I looked into the available ranges after watching the series "Rebellion" on Netflix. It seems many British players find gaming the Irish Civil War in poor taste and because the preponderance of the minis companies seem to be British there's relatively limited options available.

It does look like a period that would lend itself to some fun table top action though.

Bud

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021, 3:18 PM Nick Stern <nicholas.stern@...> wrote:
Bob Burke says he remembers me running an Irish War of Independence game, but I swear I never did. Does anyone in the club remember who did? I am now collecting miniatures, vehicles, etc. for the conflict and I'd like to talk to whoever it was who ran games in the past.

Thanks!
Nick

Marc Willner

From what I understand, there was a civil war after the war for independence, to determine if Ireland would remain the Irish Free State (part of the Commonwealth) or a republic.

Marc

[...]

paulrward@outdrs.net

The Boys from County Cork

You'll find in history's pages,  the heroes of great fame,
The deeds they've done, the battles won, and how they made their name,
But the boys that made the history for the Orange, White and Green,
Were the boys who fought in Dublin Town in Nineteen Sixteen !

Some of them came from Kerry, and some from the County Clare,
From Dublin, Wicklow, Donegal, and some from old Kildare,
Some from the land beyond the Sea, from Boston and New York
But the Boys who licked  the Black-and-Tans, were the boys of the County Cork !

Cork gave us McSweeney, as a martyr, he did die,
Wicklow gave us Dwyer in the days of  long gone by,
Dublin gave us Padraic Pearse, McBride and Cathal Bru,
And America gave us DeVelara, to lead the valiant crew.

We seem to be divided, I really don't know why,
We've a glorious list of martyrs, who for Ireland’s cause did die,
So why not get together, and join in unity ?
The north, the south, the east and west,  We'll soon see Ireland free !

So here's to the boys from Kerry, and the boys from County Clare,
And  Dublin, Wicklow, Donegal, and the boys from old Kildare,
And the lads who came from o'er  Sea, from Boston and New York
And the Boys who licked  the Black-and-Tans, the Boys of the County Cork !!

 Éire go Brách  !

[...]

Fair point on the War of Independence and Civil War distinction. The civil war between pro and anti-treaty factions is a following but related conflict.

Bud

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021, 4:31 PM Charles W Li via groups.io <cwlinsj=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Bob

Charles,

  The 1921-1922 Irish Civil War was a true civil war.  It was fought between those Irish who accepted the treaty with Great Britain that created the Irish Free State but allowed the UK to keep 6 counties in Ulster, thereby creating Northern Ireland, and those in the IRA who saw the treaty as a betrayal of the dream of a united Ireland.

Bob Burke

[...]

Nick,

  If they can make a movie about it, starring Liam Neesom (Michael Collins), then we can game it.

Bob Burke

[...]

John Riley

James Cagney version better.  Especially when he blows up the RR armored car.

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 6:26 PM Bob via groups.io <burker1=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Yes, there was a Irish Civil War fought between pro and anti treaty Irish, when Liam Neeson, I mean Michael Collins, was assassinated at the onset, but that period of Irish history isn't what people think if we're talking wargaming.

When we're talking about the Irish War of Independence, I think it's fair to mean the period of 1916-1921 which spans the Easter Uprising to the Anglo-Irish Treaty. I don't know much about the Irish Civil War, but it was supposedly a spectacularly bloody conflict -but who'd be interested in playing that period? It'd be up there with wargaming The Troubles.

Charle

On Sunday, January 24, 2021, 06:26:56 PM PST, Bob via groups.io <burker1@...> wrote:

[...]

Frank Hall

What scale? If you are doing it in 28MM Empress miniatures has some beautiful figures that you might like. They have early WWI British infantry in caps, Great period AC's and tanks, AC's and tanks. Other miniatures that could be used would be some of their German Revolution 1919 figures and even some of the SCW Republican figures. I know at one time someone did a war game in this area with the "blacks & Tans vs the IRA. I think Empress makes great looking figures. Their Indian Mutineer figures are some of the best figures I have even seen and I have lots of their SCW figures. Top quality stuff. They have a US distributor also.

On 01/24/2021 3:18 PM Nick Stern <nicholas.stern@...> wrote:

Bob Burke says he remembers me running an Irish War of Independence game, but I swear I never did. Does anyone in the club remember who did? I am now collecting miniatures, vehicles, etc. for the conflict and I'd like to talk to whoever it was who ran games in the past.

Thanks!
Nick

Nick Stern

Charles,

You still have the collection? Are they painted?

Thanks,
Nick

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 4:31 PM Charles W Li via groups.io <cwlinsj=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Hi Nick,

Certainly do and all painted!
English regs, RIC, black & tans, bicycles, cav & armored car.
Irish volunteers in uniforms & IRA in civvis, auxillaries

Inline imageInline image

Inline image

On Sunday, January 24, 2021, 07:55:59 PM PST, Nick Stern <nicholas.stern@...> wrote:

[...]

Very nice