Topics

#Project ACW #Project

John Scruggs

COVID-19 fatigue is making me crazy. I haven't even received my 15mm ancients (for 'To the Strongest!) and I'm already thinking of a new project. I bought 'Altar of Freedom' from WargameVault, and I think I'll like them. I prefer an emphasis on command and control with lots of fog of war. I've never gamed the ACW. I like the idea of massed, brigade-sized stands of small figs, say 6mm or 10mm. And the 10mm figs from Cracker Line/Plank Road/Pendraken look spectacular.

Before I do anything rash (oh well, who am I kidding), I thought I'd ask what rules/scales are popular in the club. Perhaps, I should play with somebody else's figs.

John

Geoff Barrall

John,

I’ve just brought a 6mm ACW army to play Alter of Freedom and should have enough even for Gettysburg. I’ll run a game if/when we’re back in business at the club.

I also have 28mm ACW for Black Powder (which is great) and plan to try out 15mm ACW with Fire and Fury (my first time) shortly.

Geoff

On 15 Jan 2021, at 12:41, John Scruggs wrote:

COVID-19 fatigue is making me crazy. I haven't even received my 15mm ancients (for 'To the Strongest!) and I'm already thinking of a new project. I bought 'Altar of Freedom' from WargameVault, and I think I'll like them. I prefer an emphasis on command and control with lots of fog of war. I've never gamed the ACW. I like the idea of massed, brigade-sized stands of small figs, say 6mm or 10mm. And the 10mm figs from Cracker Line/Plank Road/Pendraken look spectacular.

Before I do anything rash (oh well, who am I kidding), I thought I'd ask what rules/scales are popular in the club. Perhaps, I should play with somebody else's figs.

John

Manny Granillo

John

Crackerline figs are excellent, well supported and have also a range of terrain to go with it.

Manny

COVID-19 fatigue is making me crazy. I haven't even received my 15mm ancients (for 'To the Strongest!) and I'm already thinking of a new project. I bought 'Altar of Freedom' from WargameVault, and I think I'll like them. I prefer an emphasis on command and control with lots of fog of war. I've never gamed the ACW. I like the idea of massed, brigade-sized stands of small figs, say 6mm or 10mm. And the 10mm figs from Cracker Line/Plank Road/Pendraken look spectacular.

Before I do anything rash (oh well, who am I kidding), I thought I'd ask what rules/scales are popular in the club. Perhaps, I should play with somebody else's figs.

John

Bob Bergman

John

I want try Altar of Freedom this year.  I have large armies.

On Jan 15, 2021, John Scruggs <jtscruggs@...> wrote:
COVID-19 fatigue is making me crazy. I haven't even received my 15mm ancients (for 'To the Strongest!) and I'm already thinking of a new project. I bought 'Altar of Freedom' from WargameVault, and I think I'll like them. I prefer an emphasis on command and control with lots of fog of war. I've never gamed the ACW. I like the idea of massed, brigade-sized stands of small figs, say 6mm or 10mm. And the 10mm figs from Cracker Line/Plank Road/Pendraken look spectacular.

Before I do anything rash (oh well, who am I kidding), I thought I'd ask what rules/scales are popular in the club. Perhaps, I should play with somebody else's figs.

John

Please excuse my typing and creative "autocorreckshun."

Robert P Bergman,  Attorney at Law
3535 Ross Avenue,  Suite 308
San Jose,  California 95124
408-247-0444/ www.lawbob.com
--
Bob Bergman

Jeff Grein

John,

My group likes to play Field of Battle for the ACW.  I have a pretty large 6mm collection that are based in large units.  The rule set just put out it's third edition.  It is in the Piquet family of games and if you like fog of war this is a great game.  The other option is that I also like to play the Commands and Colors series of games that would include the original game in that series, Battle Cry.  This uses a hex grid of course with cards for the area activations.  Quick to learn but not an easy game to master.  Has some command and control elements and a good bit of fog of war as well.

Happy to put some games on when we can get back to the club.

cheers,

Jeff

COVID-19 fatigue is making me crazy. I haven't even received my 15mm ancients (for 'To the Strongest!) and I'm already thinking of a new project. I bought 'Altar of Freedom' from WargameVault, and I think I'll like them. I prefer an emphasis on command and control with lots of fog of war. I've never gamed the ACW. I like the idea of massed, brigade-sized stands of small figs, say 6mm or 10mm. And the 10mm figs from Cracker Line/Plank Road/Pendraken look spectacular.

Before I do anything rash (oh well, who am I kidding), I thought I'd ask what rules/scales are popular in the club. Perhaps, I should play with somebody else's figs.

John

John Scruggs

I've not played piquet. But, I have played Die Fighting by Bob Jones. I believe he is the orignal designer of Piquet. Is that right?
John

Jeff Grein

John,

That is correct.  A very different rule set but with great fog of war design principles.

Jeff