Topics

#Project ACW #Project

John Scruggs

COVID-19 fatigue is making me crazy. I haven't even received my 15mm ancients (for 'To the Strongest!) and I'm already thinking of a new project. I bought 'Altar of Freedom' from WargameVault, and I think I'll like them. I prefer an emphasis on command and control with lots of fog of war. I've never gamed the ACW. I like the idea of massed, brigade-sized stands of small figs, say 6mm or 10mm. And the 10mm figs from Cracker Line/Plank Road/Pendraken look spectacular.

Before I do anything rash (oh well, who am I kidding), I thought I'd ask what rules/scales are popular in the club. Perhaps, I should play with somebody else's figs.  

John

Geoff Barrall

John,

I’ve just brought a 6mm ACW army to play Alter of Freedom and should have enough even for Gettysburg. I’ll run a game if/when we’re back in business at the club.

I also have 28mm ACW for Black Powder (which is great) and plan to try out 15mm ACW with Fire and Fury (my first time) shortly.

Geoff

On 15 Jan 2021, at 12:41, John Scruggs wrote:

COVID-19 fatigue is making me crazy. I haven't even received my 15mm ancients (for 'To the Strongest!) and I'm already thinking of a new project. I bought 'Altar of Freedom' from WargameVault, and I think I'll like them. I prefer an emphasis on command and control with lots of fog of war. I've never gamed the ACW. I like the idea of massed, brigade-sized stands of small figs, say 6mm or 10mm. And the 10mm figs from Cracker Line/Plank Road/Pendraken look spectacular.

Before I do anything rash (oh well, who am I kidding), I thought I'd ask what rules/scales are popular in the club. Perhaps, I should play with somebody else's figs.  

John

Manny Granillo

John

Crackerline figs are excellent, well supported and have also a range of terrain to go with it.

Manny

From: club@sbgc.groups.io <club@sbgc.groups.io> on behalf of John Scruggs <jtscruggs@...>
Sent: Friday, January 15, 2021 12:41 PM
To: club@sbgc.groups.io <club@sbgc.groups.io>
Subject: [SBGC] #Project ACW

John

Bob Bergman

John

I want try Altar of Freedom this year.  I have large armies.

On Jan 15, 2021, John Scruggs <jtscruggs@...> wrote:

John

Please excuse my typing and creative "autocorreckshun."

Robert P Bergman,  Attorney at Law
3535 Ross Avenue,  Suite 308
San Jose,  California 95124
408-247-0444/ www.lawbob.com
--
Bob Bergman

Jeff Grein

John,

My group likes to play Field of Battle for the ACW.  I have a pretty large 6mm collection that are based in large units.  The rule set just put out it's third edition.  It is in the Piquet family of games and if you like fog of war this is a great game.  The other option is that I also like to play the Commands and Colors series of games that would include the original game in that series, Battle Cry.  This uses a hex grid of course with cards for the area activations.  Quick to learn but not an easy game to master.  Has some command and control elements and a good bit of fog of war as well.

Happy to put some games on when we can get back to the club.

cheers,

Jeff

-----Original Message-----
To: club@sbgc.groups.io
Sent: Fri, Jan 15, 2021 12:41 pm
Subject: [SBGC] #Project ACW

John

John Scruggs

I've not played piquet. But, I have played Die Fighting by Bob Jones. I believe he is the orignal designer of Piquet. Is that right?
John

Jeff Grein

John,

That is correct.  A very different rule set but with great fog of war design principles.

Jeff

-----Original Message-----
To: club@sbgc.groups.io
Sent: Fri, Jan 15, 2021 1:29 pm
Subject: Re: [SBGC] #Project ACW

I've not played piquet. But, I have played Die Fighting by Bob Jones. I believe he is the orignal designer of Piquet. Is that right?
John

Peter Michels

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 12:49 PM, Geoff Barrall wrote:
15mm ACW with Fire and Fury
Which version of FnF are you going to use?  FnF Brigade (original), Regimental FnF, or FnF Brigage 2nd Ed.?

I have enough troops to do Gettysburg at the 200 men per stand ratio except for 1 Confederate Corps command stand.

Pete

Nick Stern

Pete,

Let's do F&F Gettysburg when the club gets back to normal face to face meetings. Do you have all the 15mm buildings and terrain for Gettysburg? If you don't, I'll bet some of the other members can help.

Nick

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 1:27 AM Peter Michels <petermichels50@...> wrote:
Which version of FnF are you going to use?  FnF Brigade (original), Regimental FnF, or FnF Brigage 2nd Ed.?

I have enough troops to do Gettysburg at the 200 men per stand ratio except for 1 Confederate Corps command stand.

Pete

Ix Nichols

On 1/16/21 8:42 AM, Nick Stern wrote:
Pete,
Let's do F&F Gettysburg when the club gets back to normal face to face meetings. Do you have all the 15mm buildings and terrain for Gettysburg? If you don't, I'll bet some of the other members can help.
I can't put together the entire town of Gettysburg, but I can do a neighborhood, and a few farms, and the Seminary.

- Ix

Peter Michels

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 08:42 AM, Nick Stern wrote:
Pete,

Nick
Nick,
I ran that game for 10 players, all with a lot of rules experience, and it took about 8 hours.  And that was with timed moves of 10 minutes.

I hesitate to do it again.  I think we played on a 16 x 5 foot table (maybe 16 x 6).

Pete

Geoff Barrall

I hesitate to do it again.  I think we played on a 16 x 5 foot table (maybe 16 x 6).

The whole battle is split down into five separate games in the 1st ed rule book but the biggest (Lee’s grand attack) is on a 14’ x 6’ table. I’m super impressed you got it done in 8 hours. It does look awesome but realistically I’d guess you’d need somewhere you could leave it out and come back and finish it later on (which we could do of course :-).

Geoff

On 16 Jan 2021, at 10:17, Peter Michels wrote:

Pete,

Nick
Nick,
I ran that game for 10 players, all with a lot of rules experience, and it took about 8 hours.  And that was with timed moves of 10 minutes.

Pete

Nick Stern

I've played the Round Tops and Pickett's Charge scenarios and they each took around 6 hours. Pete and Geoff, I think we'd need multiple GMs for the Grand Attack game. Much as I'd like to play, I would be happy to volunteer to GM.

Nick

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 10:30 AM Geoff Barrall <geoffbarrall@...> wrote:

I hesitate to do it again.  I think we played on a 16 x 5 foot table (maybe 16 x 6).

The whole battle is split down into five separate games in the 1st ed rule book but the biggest (Lee’s grand attack) is on a 14’ x 6’ table. I’m super impressed you got it done in 8 hours. It does look awesome but realistically I’d guess you’d need somewhere you could leave it out and come back and finish it later on (which we could do of course :-).

Geoff

On 16 Jan 2021, at 10:17, Peter Michels wrote:

Pete,

Nick
Nick,
I ran that game for 10 players, all with a lot of rules experience, and it took about 8 hours.  And that was with timed moves of 10 minutes.

I hesitate to do it again.  I think we played on a 16 x 5 foot table (maybe 16 x 6).

Pete

Frank Hall

Sounds like a great project for the spring. I will volunteer Scot to host the out door game on his huge out door gaming tables.  Now I guess i should tell Scot.

On 01/16/2021 10:17 AM Peter Michels <petermichels50@...> wrote:

Pete,

Nick
Nick,

Pete

Doug Lange

Love the idea of doing F&F Gettysburg. I prefer 2nd edition Brigade but like first edition Brigade as well. Set up time would have to be fast in order to get enough gaming in before we have to pack it all up. 

Nick Stern

First edition plays faster, with less complexity, IMO. I think it would be essential for all to agree to a minimum of rules arguments and interpretation and let the GMs decisions be gospel.

Nick

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 11:35 AM Doug Lange <Lange@...> wrote:
Love the idea of doing F&F Gettysburg. I prefer 2nd edition Brigade but like first edition Brigade as well. Set up time would have to be fast in order to get enough gaming in before we have to pack it all up. 

Manny Granillo

I'm in!
Manny

From: club@sbgc.groups.io <club@sbgc.groups.io> on behalf of Nick Stern <nicholas.stern@...>
Sent: Saturday, January 16, 2021 11:41 AM
To: club@sbgc.groups.io <club@sbgc.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SBGC] #Project ACW

First edition plays faster, with less complexity, IMO. I think it would be essential for all to agree to a minimum of rules arguments and interpretation and let the GMs decisions be gospel.

Nick

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 11:35 AM Doug Lange <Lange@...> wrote:

Stephen Freedman

I would be very interested in this as well.  I have troops and buildings if necessary

On Jan 16, 2021, at 8:42 AM, Nick Stern <nicholas.stern@...> wrote:

Pete,

Nick

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 1:27 AM Peter Michels <petermichels50@...> wrote:
Which version of FnF are you going to use?  FnF Brigade (original), Regimental FnF, or FnF Brigage 2nd Ed.?

Pete

w butler

I have a large 6mm collection of ACW figures.   For 6mm Rapier Miniatures and Baccus will mix in the same unit.   Heroics and Ros has a large variety of poses though is slightly smaller than Rapier and Baccus.   Adler is more like 8mm though it has  a great variety of poses also.  Irregular varies in size and has some interesting items in their catalog.   Most of their figures are shown painted in pictures on their website.

David Weiner

Count me in too!  I have 15s for both sides.  I would also motivate my painting projects.
David

On Saturday, January 16, 2021, 1:14:10 PM PST, w butler <butlerw@...> wrote:

I have a large 6mm collection of ACW figures.   For 6mm Rapier Miniatures and Baccus will mix in the same unit.   Heroics and Ros has a large variety of poses though is slightly smaller than Rapier and Baccus.   Adler is more like 8mm though it has  a great variety of poses also.  Irregular varies in size and has some interesting items in their catalog.   Most of their figures are shown painted in pictures on their website.