Topics

Spray paint problem on soft plastic figures


Nick Stern
 

I sprayed some Powhattan Indian 54mm figures made by Safari Toobz with a coat of Rust-oleum Painters Touch Extra Cover Paint and Primer. 24 hours later the figures are still tacky. The weather was and is dry, around 60 degrees. By contrast, some A Call To Arms Zulus that I sprayed at the same time are dry and ready to paint. The Safari figures are noticeably softer plastic so I figure that must have something to do with it. Has anyone had the some experience? Will the Safari figures ever dry? Can I coat them with with a sealer and continue or will I need to strip off the paint with Simple Green and start again?


Fred
 

I would imagine the rustoleom was a made for all product, so made for none

Call to arms made more for hobby products


On Jan 18, 2021, at 2:01 PM, Nick Stern <nicholas.stern@...> wrote:

I sprayed some Powhattan Indian 54mm figures made by Safari Toobz with a coat of Rust-oleum Painters Touch Extra Cover Paint and Primer. 24 hours later the figures are still tacky. The weather was and is dry, around 60 degrees. By contrast, some A Call To Arms Zulus that I sprayed at the same time are dry and ready to paint. The Safari figures are noticeably softer plastic so I figure that must have something to do with it. Has anyone had the some experience? Will the Safari figures ever dry? Can I coat them with with a sealer and continue or will I need to strip off the paint with Simple Green and start again?


Charles W Li
 

That will happen sometimes with plastics, and yes it will eventually harden (dry), but it could take months. Seriously, it could take that long to not be tacky. Happened to some Reaper/Bones minis I hit with the rattle can.

You may want to strip them and start over, maybe with a water-based primer. And test the paint stripper you use first on one mini before dumping your whole batch in, just in case.

Charles

On Monday, January 18, 2021, 02:01:53 PM PST, Nick Stern <nicholas.stern@...> wrote:


I sprayed some Powhattan Indian 54mm figures made by Safari Toobz with a coat of Rust-oleum Painters Touch Extra Cover Paint and Primer. 24 hours later the figures are still tacky. The weather was and is dry, around 60 degrees. By contrast, some A Call To Arms Zulus that I sprayed at the same time are dry and ready to paint. The Safari figures are noticeably softer plastic so I figure that must have something to do with it. Has anyone had the some experience? Will the Safari figures ever dry? Can I coat them with with a sealer and continue or will I need to strip off the paint with Simple Green and start again?


Chris Roberts
 

Hi Nick,
The plastic may have something to do with it.  I had a problem with some mini space craft I bought from something like Oriental Trading Company.  I know the stuff you used.  I got some but decided to try one more time to find the plastic primer I have always used so I haven't actually tried the stuff you used. 
Have you tried the Rust-oleum Specialty Plastic Primer?  Just a white primer.  White Lid with green background and a plastic lawn chair as logo.  Still available at Ace Hardware.  Maybe Home Depot or Lowe's.  It has worked well for 20mm plastics, 54mm plastics, some different plastic space ships, and some lawn furniture.
My guess it's the plastic given your description.  I'd try getting some of this plastic primer and trying it over the paint you have.  If that doesn't work, I'd strip them and go just with the plastic primer.
Chris



On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 2:04 PM Fred via groups.io <fredavner=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I would imagine the rustoleom was a made for all product, so made for none

Call to arms made more for hobby products


On Jan 18, 2021, at 2:01 PM, Nick Stern <nicholas.stern@...> wrote:

I sprayed some Powhattan Indian 54mm figures made by Safari Toobz with a coat of Rust-oleum Painters Touch Extra Cover Paint and Primer. 24 hours later the figures are still tacky. The weather was and is dry, around 60 degrees. By contrast, some A Call To Arms Zulus that I sprayed at the same time are dry and ready to paint. The Safari figures are noticeably softer plastic so I figure that must have something to do with it. Has anyone had the some experience? Will the Safari figures ever dry? Can I coat them with with a sealer and continue or will I need to strip off the paint with Simple Green and start again?


John Riley
 

Not much of a plastic painter anymore, but Simple Green has changed its formula, as have the other similar products, and don't take off paint like they used to.  


On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 3:38 PM Chris Roberts <chr3is.roberts@...> wrote:
Hi Nick,
The plastic may have something to do with it.  I had a problem with some mini space craft I bought from something like Oriental Trading Company.  I know the stuff you used.  I got some but decided to try one more time to find the plastic primer I have always used so I haven't actually tried the stuff you used. 
Have you tried the Rust-oleum Specialty Plastic Primer?  Just a white primer.  White Lid with green background and a plastic lawn chair as logo.  Still available at Ace Hardware.  Maybe Home Depot or Lowe's.  It has worked well for 20mm plastics, 54mm plastics, some different plastic space ships, and some lawn furniture.
My guess it's the plastic given your description.  I'd try getting some of this plastic primer and trying it over the paint you have.  If that doesn't work, I'd strip them and go just with the plastic primer.
Chris



On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 2:04 PM Fred via groups.io <fredavner=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I would imagine the rustoleom was a made for all product, so made for none

Call to arms made more for hobby products


On Jan 18, 2021, at 2:01 PM, Nick Stern <nicholas.stern@...> wrote:

I sprayed some Powhattan Indian 54mm figures made by Safari Toobz with a coat of Rust-oleum Painters Touch Extra Cover Paint and Primer. 24 hours later the figures are still tacky. The weather was and is dry, around 60 degrees. By contrast, some A Call To Arms Zulus that I sprayed at the same time are dry and ready to paint. The Safari figures are noticeably softer plastic so I figure that must have something to do with it. Has anyone had the some experience? Will the Safari figures ever dry? Can I coat them with with a sealer and continue or will I need to strip off the paint with Simple Green and start again?


Gary Price
 

Hi Nick-

Next time you might try priming with Molotow inks or Belton spray paints. Both products are acrylics designed for graffiti artists. They stick to anything and dry quickly. At first glance they appear more expensive than low-end paints but the higher quality pigment and quantity-per-unit make them competitive. I buy the ink in refill bottles since I don't have much use for graffiti markers.

There's a wide range of colors for both. You can get them on-line from bombingscience.com.

-g

-------- Original message --------
From: Nick Stern <nicholas.stern@...>
Date: 1/18/21 2:01 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: club@sbgc.groups.io
Subject: [SBGC] Spray paint problem on soft plastic figures

I sprayed some Powhattan Indian 54mm figures made by Safari Toobz with a coat of Rust-oleum Painters Touch Extra Cover Paint and Primer. 24 hours later the figures are still tacky. The weather was and is dry, around 60 degrees. By contrast, some A Call To Arms Zulus that I sprayed at the same time are dry and ready to paint. The Safari figures are noticeably softer plastic so I figure that must have something to do with it. Has anyone had the some experience? Will the Safari figures ever dry? Can I coat them with with a sealer and continue or will I need to strip off the paint with Simple Green and start again?


Peter Michels
 

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 02:01 PM, Nick Stern wrote:
Can I coat them with with a sealer
Hi Nick,
I had this problem with some plastic bases that stayed tacky for awhile.  I finally just used watered down acrylic and painted over them.  I haven't had any problem with them and that was a few years ago.  Of course, for those bases I don't use the Painter's Touch spray paint anymore.
Pete


Charles W Li
 


By the way Nick,

Did you wash these plastic minis first to remove any mold release agents that may have remained on them?

Charles

On Monday, January 18, 2021, 02:01:53 PM PST, Nick Stern <nicholas.stern@...> wrote:


I sprayed some Powhattan Indian 54mm figures made by Safari Toobz with a coat of Rust-oleum Painters Touch Extra Cover Paint and Primer. 24 hours later the figures are still tacky. The weather was and is dry, around 60 degrees. By contrast, some A Call To Arms Zulus that I sprayed at the same time are dry and ready to paint. The Safari figures are noticeably softer plastic so I figure that must have something to do with it. Has anyone had the some experience? Will the Safari figures ever dry? Can I coat them with with a sealer and continue or will I need to strip off the paint with Simple Green and start again?


w butler
 

I had the same problem with this paint on hard plastic figures also.   It took several days for it to dry.  I no longer use it. 


Dave
 

Floquil used to have a treatment for plastics applied prior to using the paint. You might check it out….. Look for a shop that carries model railroad stuff.


Ix Nichols
 

I've been having this problem too, lately, with different combinations of primer and material. The upshot is that I have to discover by test spray which paints will cure and bond properly over which miniature materials.

This was all a lot easier when I was only playing with metal figures. The vast variety of different plastics available now is quite a challenge. Especially considering how hard it is to get accurate information about what will work and what won't.

- Ix


On 2021-01-18 14:01, Nick Stern wrote:
I sprayed some Powhattan Indian 54mm figures made by Safari Toobz with a coat of Rust-oleum Painters Touch Extra Cover Paint and Primer. 24 hours later the figures are still tacky. The weather was and is dry, around 60 degrees. By contrast, some A Call To Arms Zulus that I sprayed at the same time are dry and ready to paint. The Safari figures are noticeably softer plastic so I figure that must have something to do with it. Has anyone had the some experience? Will the Safari figures ever dry? Can I coat them with with a sealer and continue or will I need to strip off the paint with Simple Green and start again?


Ix Nichols
 

PS: I would strip and start over. I haven't had too much luck waiting for curing to complete once it's gone awry.


Peter Michels
 

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 06:04 PM, Charles W Li wrote:
By the way Nick,

Did you wash these plastic minis first to remove any mold release agents that may have remained on them?

Charles
Hi Charles,
I'm pretty sure that this is a chemical reaction. I would expect an unclean surface to have varied sections of adherence but, in my case, it was universal.

On the other hand, The problem didn't seem to be whether it adhered to the plastic bases, because it did.  For me, the bases would stick together.

I solved the problem by just repainting the bases with a craft acrylic.  The bases were then flocked and I have had no (known) problems after that.

Pete